One of the unique aspects of 91.5 & 102.7 THE WORD compared to commercial radio stations is that we rely completely on the Lord, working through listeners and supporting businesses, for financial underwriting. Without supporting listeners, there would be no 91.5 & 102.7.
What exactly is business underwriting?
It’s a way for THE WORD to provide “thank you” announcements to businesses for their financial support of the station. We let our listeners know of these businesses through on-air announcements and our website.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) allows for profit companies to “underwrite” programs on noncommercial stations like THE WORD, but it does not allow “advertising”. Underwriting is similar to advertising, but differs in a few very important areas.
The FCC forbids announcements that issue a call to action. Statements such as, “stop in”, “shop here”, “call now”, “limited time only”, etc. are not allowed. Underwriter announcements also may not contain qualitative words such as largest selection, newest model, best in town, finest selection, and state of the art, are prohibited. Finally, announcements may not mention or give reference to prices. References such as, free, sale, discount, clearance, reduced, going out of business sale, and liquidation, are also not permitted.
Underwriting announcements on The Word are recorded by our production staff. Prerecorded underwriter announcements are not accepted. Announcements may include information that identifies but does not promote the underwriter including:
The name of the underwriter
The underwriter’s products and/or services
The underwriter’s corporate slogan (as long as it is NOT a promotional statement)
The location of the underwriter’s business
The underwriter’s telephone number
The underwriter’s web address
An Example of Permitted and Prohibited Underwriting Announcements
Prohibited announcement: “Weather on 91.5 & 102.7 THE WORD is underwritten by Speedy Lube, where you can now get a 10-point oil change and lube for the unbelievably low price of just $12.99. So come on down to 115 Main Street for fast, reliable service.
Permitted announcement: “Weather on 91.5 & 102.7 THE WORD is underwritten by Speedy Lube, located at 115 Main Street. Speedy Lube provides oil changes and other car maintenance services. Speedy Lube, 555-6565.”
The first example mentions price and contains two calls to action. The second identifies the sponsor, the sponsor’s address, telephone number, and product line, as well as establishing a relationship to the program.
Advantages to Underwriting on The Word
- Radio reaches people in their home, vehicle and business. It’s mobile, reaching people just before they enter the store.
- Loud and clear is how your company’s name and message will be heard in an environment free of commercial clutter. Listeners will automatically associate your company with THE WORD’S quality programming.
- Christian radio listeners ascribe an incredible amount of loyalty to their station. Many listeners listen exclusively to Christian radio. For this reason they tend to support those merchants who support their station.
- Christian radio is a message-oriented medium. In a day when radio stations are nothing more than background mediums, people tune to Christian radio for the message it conveys.
- Extensive research has been done on the Christian radio audience. This audience is very selective and potentially valuable for their loyalty. They tend to have more disposable income due to lifestyle choices. Christian radio audiences are interested in their community and support programs and services that benefit the community and the quality of life they cherish so much.
Statistics About Christian Radio Listeners
- Christian Audiences consume more as a family unit. Married listeners account for nearly 70% of the audience (11% above the national average).
- Christian Audiences are more stable. 75% of Christian radio listeners own their own home. 20% more likely to acquire a line of credit, 26% more likely to own mutual funds and 33% more likely to have used a real estate agent last year.
Statistical Sources: Religion & Media - US News & World Report / Soma Broadcast Sales Reports / Media Audit
Cost for underwriting on The Word
How much does it cost to become a business underwriter on THE WORD?
Packages are available to fit most any budget. Underwriting is a cost-effective way to market your product or service while supporting a ministry that introduces people to the life-changing truth of God’s word. Additionally, the cost of partnership is considered a tax deductible gift.
News Rotation at least 3 times a day
Underwrite national and local news plus news important to families and world missions. Your underwriting announcement will be heard at least 3 times a day/7 days a week.
Weather Rotation at least 3 times a day
Underwrite our region leading weather team for less than $20 per mention. Your underwriting announcement will be heard on the air at least 3 times a day/7 days a week.
Features, Teaching & Talk Programs at least once daily
Underwrite one of our hour programs like Focus on the Family or Family Life Today for $1200/quarter. Underwrite one of our evening programs for:
Daily Underwriter - 6 times a day, $75
must sponsor at least 6 days/$450
For more information or to sign up to underwrite programming on 91.5 or 102.7 The Word, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll free 866-568-4422.